100 years of Dillon Shield competition
PA MAI TO REO
In 1921 brothers Percy and Hector Dillon, members of the Waipawa Bowling Club, presented the Dillon Shield for interclub competition between all the bowling clubs in CHB. It was first played for at Waipawa on March 9 and again on March 16, 1921 at Waipukurau. Over the years, the annual competition included Norsewood, Takapau, Otane and Porangahau, competed for by teams of Men’s Fours. The current Dillon Shield is not the original. According to the plaque attached to it, the original shield was destroyed when the Otane Bowling Club burned down, so this current shield has been competed for over the last 47 years, recording results as follows: Norsewood 11, Otane 12, Takapau 12, Porangahau 12, Waipukurau 12 and Waipawa 13, indicating there were more than one challenge in some years. Up until 2019 the competition was always men only, but with progress in equality and the desire of clubs to be able to field their strongest teams, it was decided clubs can now play mixed teams. The fixture rotates around the three remaining CHB Clubs annually. Porangahau won the shield last year at home since restarting their club. For the 100th year of the event Waipawa Bowling Club hosted Waipukurau and Porangahau for the round-robin games. Spectators supported the teams and the games were keenly contested. The centennial cake was cut by CHB Mayor Alex Walker and the day concluded with afternoon tea. Next year’s fixture will be hosted by Waipukurau Bowling Club.